What do I need to do when I remove an above ground tank? Above ground tanks are regulated under a number of Federal, State and in some places Local regulations. Which rules apply will depend on location, size and contents of the tank. In some cases, site investigations are required to assure that tanks did not leak while in operation to terminate tank permits or permit-by-rule authorizations.
Common requirements include:
- Update to tank registration or permit with State and/or local agencies,
- Updating information on on-site hazardous material storage (EPCRA 311),
- Updating COI registration with Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS),
- Update to Emergency Preparedness and Response Plans, Spill Plans, and Spill Prevention, Control & Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan, if subject to 40 CFR 112
- Update to facility Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP), if subject to State or Federal NPDES permit requirements
If you would like assistance in determining requirements for your tanks, providing necessary updates to appropriate agencies, or updating facility plans, contact Caltha LLP.