The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) has issued an industrial stormwater discharge permit specifically to cover marinas which would otherwise need to apply for coverage under the Ohio multisector general permit (MSGP). Marinas nationwide are subject to industrial stormwater under the Transportation Sector.
OEPA under General Permit No. OHRM00002 became effective on January 22, 2013. Marinas that wish to be covered under this permit are required to submit an application (“Notice of Intent, or NOI”) to OEPA. Compliance requirements under the Marina general permit are similar in many ways to the Ohio MSGP, including:
- Requirement to prepare and implement a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) meeting the requirements listed in the permit
- Requirement to eliminate non-stormwater discharges
- Requirement to conduct regular facility inspections
- Requirement to develop and implement an employee training program
- Requirement to conduct regular visual monitoring of stormwater discharges.
There are some important differences also:
- Marinas are allowed to discharge wash water from boat cleaning, although cleaning of engines or other oily parts is prohibited; use of detergents or other chemical cleaning agents is prohibited.
- Larger marinas (greater than 200 total slips) must conduct chemical monitoring of stormwater discharges on an annual basis.